background

August 15, 2011

Battle of the Bottle

Ahh, long time, no blog. I wanted my next post to be about Noah's party but I was so stressed out that day that I didn't even take ONE picture of anything :( There were pictures taken, but I personally don't have any, so that post will be for another day, but it is coming...Man, I am a terrible mom... But His party went GREAT!! and he did awesome! I can't wait to share! :)
Noah is officially not a baby anymore, he is a year old and he is a toddler now. He loves to walk all over the place!
The day after his party I decided it was time to start the process of bottle weaning, we had already made the transition from formula to milk, so it was just going to be a matter of getting rid of these bottles.
After church last Sunday, we tried to give him his milk out of a sippy cup.... MELT-DOWN!! We tried a different sippy cup that is very similar to a bottle, a little better but still NOT happy. For the rest of the week, the meltdowns continued. We have managed to go from 5, sometimes 6 bottles a day, to about 3. We do one in the morning, one before bed and we are generally forced to give him one around 4 because he has a meltdown of all meltdowns and nothing else will soothe him.

This by far is the most stressful thing we have been through so far with him. He has always been such a happy little man and now he goes through stages of total angry baby. It makes me so sad because essentially I am doing this to him. I know it is for the best and obviously he can't be 3 and still drinking from a bottle. We offer him lots of other foods and he picks and chooses what he likes and dislikes that day. He used to be such an awesome eater, it really didnt matter what I gave him, he would eat it. Now, he is pushing away and spitting out almost all veggies. I am going to try to puree some more tonight to see if it is a texture thing, and maybe he will eat them that way for now but then what... Oh man, I know we have so many more challenges ahead of us on this long road of parenthood but this one is hard. The meltdowns are TOUGH!! I myself have had several "meltdowns" along with him. It is silly to think of having a meltdown over him not eating some green beans and carrots but it is just hard to see him struggling so much over not having his bottles.

We go back to the doctor for a check up in 6 months, for his 18 month check-up. So I have decided to do a LONG term goal, we will be bottle free by his 18 month appt. Hopefully before that, but at least that gives me a goal and a lot of time! 

 He is so cute, you wouldn't think he could turn into a little monster!!
At his first Birthday Dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment